The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited – B.S.A. began in June 1861 in the Gun Quarter, Birmingham, England. It was formed by a group of fourteen gunsmith members of the Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association specifically to manufacture guns by machinery. They were encouraged to do this by the War Office which gave the BSA gunsmiths free access to technical drawings and to the War Office’s Board of Ordnance’s Royal Small Arms Factory factory at Enfield. New machinery developed in the USA installed at Enfield had greatly increased its output without needing more skilled craftsmen.
In 1880, BSA branched out into bicycle manufacture.The gun factory proved remarkably adaptable to the manufacture of cycle parts. What cycles needed was large quantities of standard parts accurately machined at low prices. In 1880 BSA manufactured the Otto Dicycle, In 1881 the company began to manufacture safety bicycles, 1905 the company’s first experimental motorcycle was constructed.
In 1893, BSA commenced making bicycle hubs and continued to supply the cycle trade with bicycle parts up to 1936. BSA bought The Eadie Manufacturing Company of Redditch in 1907 and so began to manufacture the Eadie two speed hub gear and the Eadie coaster brake hub. BSA also signed an agreement with the Three Speed Gear Syndicate in 1907 to manufacture a 3 speed hub under licence.
Bicycle production ceased in 1887 as the company concentrated on producing the Lee–Metford magazine-loading rifle for the War Office which was re-equipping the British Army with it (orders of 1,200 rifles per week). BSA recommenced manufacturing bicycles on their own behalf from 1908. BSA Cycles Ltd was set up in 1919 for the manufacture of both bicycles and motorcycles. BSA sold the bicycle business to Raleigh in 1957 after separating the bicycle and motorcycle business in 1953.
In mid 1910s, with 35 years of succeseful manufacturing his, B.S.A. was a huge company, the absolute leader in UK market, producing over 50.000 bicycles a year. In mid 1910s and 1920s changing gears for racing bikes meant stopping and removing the rear wheel and flipping it around to use a different size cog. The riders were using smaller cog for the flat parts and bigger one for uphills.
With this extremelly rare masterpiece of the cycling history, Premium Cycling reached the top, of what we can offer to vintage bike collectors worldwide. Here we are proudly presenting – B.S.A. which dates back to mid 1910s. Extraordinary details of the bottom bracket&hubs oil braze-on, massive chainstay, special drop-outs for faster changing gears, special locker for handlebar makes you understand why B.S.A. is a cycling pioneer and a great inventor of very early bikes and bikes components. Original build with B.S.A. cranks & chainrings, B.S.A. hubs, B.S.A. steel stem and handlebar, B.S.A.pedals, so original components from 1910s. Extremely rare jewel.
With this vintage jewel you can get an incredible experience how cycling heroes rode back in the golden era of cycling history or just to get a lot of attention at any historic cycling events. The bike won a special reward of ‘Vintage elegance’ at the show L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti 2015. Vintage Merino wool long sleeve BSA Birmingham jersey included.
Frame & Fork: B.S.A. racing bike
– seat tube (c-t): 58 cm
– top tube (c-c): 57,5 cm
– headset tube: 14,2 cm
– standover: 82,5 cm
Crankset: steel with B.S.A. chainring
Bottom bracket : B.S.A.
Brake Levers: steel, original
Hubs: B.S.A with lubricating pin
Rims: D’Alessandro (wooden)
Stem: steel B.S.A. original
Handlebar: steel B.S.A. original
Condition: Complete restoration took a lot of time and effort, amazing job was done by professional guy. No cracks, no dents, not bent. All parts are working fine. Ready to ride.
Price: SOLD (January 2020)